Wednesday, December 17, 2008

The Sound of Music

Im nothing special, in fact Im a bit of a bore
If I tell a joke, you've probably heard it before
But I have a talent, a wonderful thing
cause everyone listens when I start to sing
Im so grateful and proud
All I want is to sing it out loud

So I say
Thank you for the music, the songs Im singing
Thanks for all the joy theyre bringing
Who can live without it, I ask in all honesty
What would life be?
Without a song or a dance what are we?
So I say thank you for the music
For giving it to me

Mother says I was a dancer before I could walk
She says I began to sing long before I could talk
And I've often wondered, how did it all start?
Who found out that nothing can capture a heart
Like a melody can?
Well, whoever it was, Im a fan

I was listening to Abba's 'Thank you for the Music' and the lyrics -
And I've often wondered, how did it all start?
Who found out that nothing can capture a heart
Like a melody can?

kept repeating in my head. Truely, who would have conceived of this heavenly thing called music? And how would life be without the 'Nothing's-Gonna-Change-My-Love-For-You's?', the husky voice of Bryan Adams crooning 'Please Forgive Me' and the hard rock of Metallica? Music truely makes my world go a complete round!

Music is an integral part of my life... if I am down and out, a little bit of 'Sajnaji vaari vaari' from Honeymoon Travels or 'Hakuna Matata' from Lion King cheers me up. When I am on a high and completely enthu about something, 'Chak De' or 'We Will Rock You' completely packs the punch! In fact there is music for every mood and every shade of life. Music deadens the hustle-bustle of a long bus journey by allowing you to escape in your world. There is nothing I love more than putting on my radio / music system on a high volume, rolling up the windows and driving, while singing out LOUD!!! From 'Summer of '69' to bring out the nostalgia to 'Nothing's-Gonna-Change-My-Love-For-You' for the die-hard romantic, music brings joy, romance, longing and a whole plethora of emotions for the soul.

Why does music stir the soul so much? I believe it is because it reminds us of people...

Everytime I listen to 'Summer of '69', my college days come back to me. I can see myself sitting on the stairs with my bunch of friends, laughing away without a care in the world... I can see myself running to catch the last train home, drenched to the core, after sudden showers, while coming back from the college cultural fest... I can see those tears on our farewell when we bid adeiu to our Alma Mater.

When I listen to Evanescence's 'My Immortal', the lyrics haunt me, reminding me of pain, sadness and longing for people who have touched my heart but have walked out never to turn back.

Oasis' Wonderwall brings memories of all the people in my life who have given me such beautiful memories... it takes me to my oasis!

A rainbow over a waterfall amid lush greenery...tall trees flanking the riverbank...rocks, smoothened over years of water gushing over them, glistening in the sun - this is what comes to mu mind when I listen to Chinna Chinna Aasai. I don't understand Tamil but I love the sound of the words, the beats, the music. Truely, music is universal!!!

I can go on and on... about all the songs I love... there are tonnes of them and each holds a very special corner, a very cherished memory. And the beauty is the same song and mean many different things to each one of us.

Music can enrapture and it can hurt; music can make you happy and it can stir longing and sadness... To me, there is nothing more versatile than music - it can touch your heart and heal your soul.

3 comments:

  1. How very much I was able to relate to it!!!
    Music indeed has tremendous power. I'm its crazy fan just like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Ogilvy said "When you have nothing to say, sing it".
    How true is your post on music and its nuances.
    You took me to my younger years when I used to sing to my girl friend who had long hair " Tum mere saamne hai, Teri zulfe hai khuli, Tera aanchal hai dala, Mai bhala hosh mey kaise rahu".

    Ofcourse, I still keep on singing to my wife the song 'Tumse jo accidental pyaar hua, Life me pehli baar hua, Bilkul ji bilkul pehli baar hua, teri kasam ye pehli baar hua'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one's close to my heart, coz music is my life too !!

    ReplyDelete