Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Bollywood's IMDB - ReviewGang

I am a Bollywood fan... I love to watch movies and I love everything about them - the songs, music, romance, drama, dialogues – from SRK's kisi cheez ko agar dil se chaho to saari kainath tumhe usse milane ki koshish mein lag jaati hai (OSO), Bade bade desho mein aisi chhoti chhoti baatein hoti rehti hain (DDLJ) to Mogambo Khush Hua (Mr. India) & Kitne aadmi the (Sholay), the roona-dhona, hasna-gaana, the works! When I watch movies, I get drawn into the plot, identify with the characters and for the brief 150 or so minutes, I know I want to be in that world, particulary since I know that most Bollywood movies end on a ‘Happily-Ever-After’ note.

Being more drawn into Hindi movies than English ones, I find IMDB not adequate for Bollywood reviews. I search youtube for trailers and songs, news websites to read on what the critics have commented, a few of my favourite blogs and user sites to read movie-goers' reviews and finally decide whether or not I should go for the movie or just wait for it to do a ‘World-TV-Premiere’ and watch it free from the comforts of my home. Getting together so much information is tiresome at times and yet it is something I think most of us Bollywood-Buffs do, irrespective of whether the movie is a run-away hit or a dismal flop. That’s where ‘Review-Gang’ was born.

I like ReviewGang for its simple and clean interface. Although initially I had found the logo way too simple, it now stands out in the movies’ poster watermark very well. (Being a woman I guess I look at aesthetics way ahead of checking the utility :) ). But the site is great utility as well. What is interesting about it is that it gives the Critic review, User reviews, Links, Music, Videos, Trailers and Ratings all in one place. One can even look at up-coming releases and watch their videos and trailers. And what’s cooler is that in addition to giving a weighted rating on a scale of 1 to 10, aggregated from the ratings given by critics, it allows users to rate movies through a separate Viewer’s Rating (So now I can Voice out MY Ratings alongside Anupama Chopra & Nikhat Kazmi!!). I even wrote a few reviews for the site. And one can become a FaceBook fan here.

So, in complete Bollywood ishtyle, Tamaam gawaahon aur sabooton ko maddhe nazar rakhte hue ye adalat iss nateeje par pahuchi hai ki ReviewGang ke khilaf koi saboot nahin hai; issliye ye adalat ReviewGang ko baaizzat bari karti hai. After all, FIRST IMPRESSION... IZ the LAST IMPRESSION... Jhakaazzz……. (Anil Kapoor!) (Keeping in mind all the testinomials and proofs, the court has come to the conclusion that there is nothing against ReviewGang which makes it guilty; in light of the same, this court acquits ReviewGang restoring full honours. - a very popular Hindi Filmi dialogue)

6 comments:

  1. Another bollywood buff :) I dont usually decide on the basis of the reviews coz most of them are too biased.. be it a critic or users.. for example a bunch of Himesh Reshamia fans might consider "Apka Surur" as the best thing after "Gone with the wind" but then you know.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, where have you been from such a long time?

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely a great site! :)
    Btw, you've been featured on my blog! Hop on over! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Scattered Thoughts : Was around but lost inspiration for sometime... u guys just keep me going...

    ReplyDelete