Sunday, January 04, 2009

My Corner Office...

I am an avid reader and in my growing years, I have read a lot of fiction. I came across the term 'Corner Office' many times - offices which have windows on two walls, as opposed to a typical office with only one window or none at all. These are typically given to the most senior executives, the term primarily refers to top management positions in the company. And I have always desired one for myself.

Well, here's my version of my corner office - literally since I have my workstation in a corner, with windows on two walls as opposed to others in my function who have just one window!!! (Fits the definition to a 'T', doesn't it? :) )


So, let me begin by talking about all that you see in the pic.

What you see on the extreme left hand side top is one of the two things I hold on to, during my trying days - the Holiday list :). When days are long, one glance at this list keeps me looking forward to a bright, lazy holiday(s).

The next thing beside it is a play ticket - my first theatre show after I moved in here. It was Evam's brand new play, Doubles, Triples & Quadruples - Nobody Stays Single! It had opened to a packed house... There were sketches, monologues, audience interaction galore... and a laughter riot. This was also where I won a lucky draw and clicked happy memories of us in theatre costumes!

Next is a list of twelve of my favourite things :

  • Shah Rukh Khan - I just love his soulful eyes and his performances. People may talk about stereo-type, chocolate-boy acting but I am one true, blue ardent SRK fan.
  • The Guitar - Always wanted to learn this musical instrument... I love music and guitar brings songs alive for me - it's my picture of a guy serenading his love while strumming on his guitar and singing romantic numbers!
  • Thoughts - I am a day-dreamer at times and I have always been told to not think too much!
  • Wild flowers - I love their colours, shades and hues... I love their spread on lush green fields, running wild and free.
  • Being wild and free...
  • Steaming cups of coffee...
  • Freshly powdered babies!
  • Moonlight on a calm sea
  • Taking flight...
  • Asymmetrical designs
  • White, frothy waves crashing on rocks - the spray and sound
  • Prayer
I had come across a mail forward on 'The Woman In Your Life'. I had found it powerful and thought-provoking. It is pinned up on my desk and is reproduced below :

The Woman In Your Life

Here is a girl, who is as much educated and who is earning almost as much as you do;

One who has dreams, aspirations just as you have because she is as human as you are;

One, who has never entered the kitchen in her life just like you or your sister haven't, as she was busy in studies and competing in a system that gives no special concession to girls for their culinary achievements;

One, who has lived and loved her parents & brothers & sisters, almost as much as you do for 20-25 years of her life;

One, who has bravely agreed to leave behind all that, her home, people who love her, to adopt your home, your family, your ways and even your family name

One, who is somehow expected to be a master-chef from day #1, while you sleep oblivious to her predicament in her new circumstances, environment and that kitchen

One, who is expected to make tea, first thing in the morning and cook food at the end of day, even if she is as tired as you are, maybe more, and yet never ever expected to complain; to be a servant, a cook, a mother, a wife, even if she doesn't want to; and is learning just like you are as to what you want from her; is clumsy and sloppy at times and knows you won't like it if she is too demanding, or if she learns faster than you;

One, who has her own set of friends, and that includes boys and even men at her workplace too, those who she knows from school days and yet is willing to put all that on the back-burners to avoid your irrational jealousy, unnecessary competition and your inherent insecurities;

Yes, she can drink and dance just as well as you can, but won't, simply because you won't like it, even though you say otherwise;

One, who can be late from work when deadlines, just like yours, are to be met;

One, who is doing her level best and wants to make this most important relationship in her entire life a grand success, if you just help her some and trust her;

One, who just wants one thing from you, as you are the only one she knows in your entire house - your un-stinted support, your sensitivities and most importantly - your understanding, or love, if you may call it.

My cutie cuddly teddy was a gift from my best friend whose snap I keep with me always... more than the teddy itself, I cherish the memories it brings to me when I look at it. The Friends Forever was captured on the day I met her last, just as I was leaving Mumbai.

The most frequently used thing on my desk is the telephone and my hand-phone. There are times when they just keep ringing incessantly, demanding attention.

Next are my list of responsibilities in my work and a long list of phone-a-friend numbers!

Garfield completely symbolizes me when I am at home, chilled out and lazy... and my stress-busters come of use more than once in a day - whether to play catch in office or to bounce it off the wall when I am trying to get some ideas or solve problems.

My daily dose of inspiration comes from my universal calendar - it doesn't have a year so it doesn't become redundant as one year after the other speeds by. Saasta aur tikau!!!

And finally, when I am the most strung and have only one nerve left and still people keep stepping on it, I read Rudyard Kipling's 'IF'. It was sent to me by a very dear friend of mine, on my first day at my first job. We both had joined the company together. He was in the Navy fbefore this job on a short stint and when days were tough, he had found sanity in these words.

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!

In fact, if I compare my workstation of my earlier company to the current one, this poem is one thing I have carried on from there and I hope it continues to give me my peace in my most crazy times.

10 comments:

  1. Now this is something very very different from the usual things I read. Cool stuff :)

    You have a wonderful desk :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely desk. I particularly liked the "Holiday list". Travelling is one of the things that I eagerly look for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~sighs~ I just wish my desk was as organised as this. Happy New Year !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :)

    Nice corner u got there.. I love garfield..

    And IF happens to be my favorite :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love this poem... we had it in eight standard and I still have a copy of that same poem with me...

    By the way, seeing the fact that you are an avid reader, would you like to contribute to the blog
    The Reader's Paradise. Drop a line at the shout box on the blog... or send me a mail at akanshaak@gmail.com
    http://swadeshi-library.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed reading this blog !! Gave me a total close-to-the-heart, happy-happy, sharing-caring write-up ka feel (whatever that whole thing means :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. damn cool and very inspiring! My desk is usually cluttered with random junk and loads of doodles and sketches all over the softboard :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Twisted Elegance : Thanks!

    @PizzaDude : Yeah, am always ready to head out into the wild...

    @Shekhar - Happy New Year!!!

    @Urv : :)

    @Akansha : Will def check it out!

    @Life 24*7 : Muuah! Lotsa Hugs gal!

    @Shaunak : Ur desk reflects who u r - creative, artistic and crazy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent!'The woman in your life' resonates with my thoughts on 'WOMEN'I call them Karmayogis, and have great respect for them. One such woman is my wife.
    The write up also brings to life how some men tend to be MCPs. Was it intentional or is it my perception?
    You write really well - I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice... scramble reality with a creative soul..
    If you have to hot-desk.!?

    ReplyDelete