Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Men, Mind and Memory...

For those of us who have seen the movie Memento, which was the inspiration for Aamir Khan's Ghajini will agree that it is not a direct ^C^V (Cut-Copy-Paste). But this post is not another movie review. After the movie released, this cartoon, did a number of rounds in my inbox. And that is the inspiration of my post!

At the outset, I don't quite agree with this universal accusation against men... Ask a man who won the F1 championship ten years ago and pat will come the reply. Ask him about cars, bikes, sports or tech (for the geeky kinds) and they will be more than happy to share (and at times very proudly so) all that has ever happened in the past, is happening in the present and very confidently will happen in the future on these areas. My point being, men don't forget - they just pay attention and absorb only what interests them and conveniently ignore the rest. It's like what my hubby, with an innocent look on his face, often tells me when I, very exasperated, would be tearing my straightened, blow-dried and set hair out and telling him for the umpteenth time that he had forgotten to switch of the fan / light / anniversary / some bill payment which he had very solemnly PROMISED he was responsible to pay and a hundred other things - "Baby, why do you think I have married you... you are sooo good at these things that I can now concentrate on the more important things in life (read - the latest invention of Apple / news in Gaza / newest applications of Google / stocks / his blog / other blogs / food / sleep!!!). Argggh!!!

And then there are people like us - ask us the colour of your shirt on our first date, the perfume your mother wore on her fiftieth wedding anniversary, the last time we fought and what you had said which made me cry and what you promised me last Monday morning when you got up - we will be able to repeat it back to you verbatim, complete with expressions and emotions.

I had heard this joke some years ago and it stayed with me...

And then there was Bob who could never remember his wife's birthday. Finally, his wife could take it no more when, yet again, he forgot the special day. "Enough is enough! Tomorrow morning, I expect to find a gift in the driveway that goes from 0 to 200 in 6 seconds AND IT BETTER BE THERE!!"

The next morning he got up early and left for work. When his wife woke up, she looked out the window and sure enough there was a box gift-wrapped in the middle of the driveway. Confused, the wife brought the box back in the house. She opened it and found a brand new bathroom scale.

Bob has, since then, been missing!

Women always worry about the things that men forget;

Men always worry about the things women remember!!! :)

26 comments:

  1. Women always worry about the things that men forget;
    Men always worry about the things women remember!!! :) <<<<

    yeah right!! tell me about it!!! :P lolzy

    well said.. btw nice post and a really beautiful blog.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ROTGL ..... I liked Abhijeet's imagination !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't stop laughing at Bob's story... and this selective memory loss and retention of husbands irks me a lot, but again its their natural trait!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a true friend of 'mankind' May God give wives like you to all deserving men...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ;) your husband so right...
    whenever men and women agree though conclusion are same both have their reasons(often different one).

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL!! you look damn so inspired from "Why men dont listen and women cant read maps".. looks like they have got a competition and another book is on the way :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh and did I say that this another book is going to be better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahaha ... nice one !! Loved the 2nd paragraph, was having vivid imaginations of how you would have narated that over phone :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool cartoon, cool last 2 line:D:D how typical!!

    thnks for the visit!!!

    ps- love the way your blog looks...will visit often!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Men forget the 'important' things, women remember those. Thats why opposites attract :)

    Nice thoughtful blog and one to be always 'remembered' by all your male readers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice blog.
    i love the colours...
    and this post is an extremely fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny :)
    It IS true.
    Men have selective hearing and an even more selective memory.
    My boyfriend drives me up the wall sometimes!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving your kind comments.

    I agree with you when you say 'My point being, men don't forget - they just pay attention and absorb only what interests them and conveniently ignore the rest'.

    That joke at the end was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. bob????wasn't it more like Dhinchak Paplu???

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved the joke and the ending... I haven't stopped laughing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hehhehe...

    good one, tickled the funny bone here and there

    ReplyDelete
  18. hehehe!!! m not gonna give any excuses...althou there is a nice scientific explanation for d way men behave....but all of us prefer to ignore that n enjoy it this way :D

    blogrollin ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Phoenix : :) Thanks!

    @ Rahul Viswanath : Yeah, loved it the min I got it on mail!

    @ Sara : You bet...

    @ Wanderlust : Ha Ha!!! I'll pass this on to mu hubby!

    @ Prithi Shetty : Yeah! Thanks!

    @ iamyuva : Yes, and they agree to disagree!

    @ Scattered Thoughts : :) not anytime soon but I'll keep it in mind...

    @ Life 24*7 : And I did narrate some part today... thanx for the patient hearing... its what we women do best anyway!

    @ aqua gurl : :) Thanks!

    @ Suresh Kumar : They attract each other and other troubles too!

    @ little boxes : Thanks!

    @ ki : :)

    @ Ganesh : :)

    @ Jinxed Pixie : ROTFL... I should have taken the name from you... it sounds soo jhatak! ;)

    @ Akansha Agrawal : :)

    @ d gypsy! : :)

    @ mayz : Yeah, I read up on the science behind it... am sure a guy scientist must hv come up with the theory, just to use it as an excuse! LOL! kiddin!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rita Rudner said "Men hate to lose.I once beat my husband at tennis.I asked him'Are we going to have sex again?' He said "Yes, but not with each other'.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice post. You pretty much hit the head on the nail regarding what men do and don't forget! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. //It's like what my hubby, with an innocent look on his face, often tells me when I, very exasperated, would be tearing my straightened, blow-dried and set hair out and telling him for the umpteenth time that he had forgotten to switch of the fan / light / anniversary / some bill payment which he had very solemnly PROMISED he was responsible to pay and a hundred other things - "Baby, why do you think I have married you... you are sooo good at these things that I can now concentrate on the more important things in life (read - the latest invention of Apple / news in Gaza / newest applications of Google / stocks / his blog / other blogs / food / sleep!!!).

    That is one single sentence. Correct? See. And then people say that men don't pay attention ;)

    Off to check his blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. and that is so true! just some lucky women get the men who remember their birthday without being reminded weeks before the occasion :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ha! Ha! I like the cartoonist's imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aaah!

    Courtesy Desi Pundit, I land upon a quality post after a loong time.

    Great work :)

    (Signed)
    A forgetful bachelor :D

    ReplyDelete